So if you’ve been on the site recently, you might have noticed that something has changed – or rather, that it no longer changes. The header.
First off, the reason for this. Before, I had it set to cycle between 9ish different images, a mix of official art for certain series, and fan art. And of course, I had everything credited in the “about” page, but I wasn’t too thrilled about using that stuff. Sure, they looked great (especially Raguho’s K-ON! one or Sakurai from the first volume of Rail Wars!), but I didn’t like using fan art for what was essentially site branding.
Sure, I’m not getting paid for any of this (although I’ll take a small loan of a million dollars if you’re feeling generous), but I never explicitly asked for permission, so just citing and providing a link on a relatively tucked away page didn’t feel right.
So my next thought was to remove the fan art and just use official stuff, specifically for anime, games, or even albums I had covered at some point. And while I’m not ruling this out for the future, I decided to do something else for now.
So this is a relatively simple thing I put together, using silhouettes of an anime character (Miyamori Aoi) and a controller (Dualshock 4 for convenience) to highlight what the site is mostly about. It’s not perfect, so I’ll likely fiddle with it a bit down the line, but as a whole I’m very happy with it. It’s something constant, that lines up with everything aesthetically, and isn’t just a one-sided representation of what’s on the site.
As a general comment on the rest of the site design – besides small changes here and there, it should stay consistent for quite a while to come. Since I got a background and the content sizing figured out, I’ve been happy with it, so I don’t want to mess with anything too much.
Maybe this post was a bit pointless, but oh well.
The cover is Hirasawa Yui and Nakano Azusa from K-ON!, from pixiv’s らぐほのえりか (Raguho no Erika).
All of the old headers I used (besides that one):
- Shirai Kuroko and Misaka Mikoto from Toaru Kagaku no Railgun / A Certain Scientific Railgun, from pixiv’s 稲城 (this is read as Inaki, Inagi, Toujou, or something else).
- Akemi Homura and Kaname Madoka (x2) from Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica, from Forest Village’s doujinshi You Can Only Luminous Once a Day (which I recommend reading).
- Rorolina Frixell (AKA Rorona) from Atelier Rorona/Totori/Meruru, from official art work.
- Senjougahara Hitagi and Kaiki Deishuu from The Monogatari Series, from pixiv’s nyoro.
- Sakurai Aoi from Rail Wars!, from official art work.
- Sakura Chiyo from Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun, from pixiv’s コ゛りぼて (Go Ribote or something like that).
- Suzumiya Haruhi from Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu / The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, from official art work.
- Miyamori Aoi and Yasuhara Ema from Shirobako, from pixiv’s よしまさ (Yoshimasa).